In the mountains of the Kamiesberg, Olives are grown on the Bet-el farm, 40 km from Kamieskroon to the seaside..
The fruit is pressed and the Olive oil cold extracted in a press fascility in Stellebosch.
The "Grootberg olive oil", ( Grootberg is the afrikaans for big mountain) Namaqualand's finest virgin olive oil.
For retail and wholesale contac Ivan or Trudie at 0870950159.
The following is copied from the S A Olive Association's website
WHAT THE SEAL MEANS:
- 1. The content is 100% South African.
- 2. The year of harvest is prominently displayed, indicating the freshness of the oil.
- 3. The producer is committed to the standards set in the SA Olive Codes of Practice and based on international quality standards.
- 4. Labelling is honest and transparent
FOR THE CONSUMER, THE CTC SEAL MEANS:
- The producer confirms that the content is 100% South African.
- The year of harvest will be prominently displayed, indicating the freshness of the oil.
- The producer is committed to the standards set in the SA Olive Codes of Practice, which are based on international quality standards.
- Honest and transparent labelling - if the label states that the content is Extra Virgin, the producer verifies that the content is in fact Extra Virgin and not Virgin, or a Refined Olive Oil.
Importance of correct labelling for EVOO
Great importance is attached to the label of Extra Virgin Olive Oil for very good reasons, as this means that:
- the oil is completely natural and unadulterated, with no additives;
- the oil is free of any defects – not rancid, winey, musty, fusty etc.;
- the oil has a fruity characteristic
- the oil has a free acidity level of LESS than 0.8%, and
- the oil has been cold extracted, which means that it retains all its wonderful aromas, natural antioxidants and minerals.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is accepted as being the best quality oil available and as such demands the highest retail price. For a premium price, the consumer should be guaranteed of commensurate quality. No product which does not deserve to be classified as Extra Virgin should be allowed to be labelled and sold as Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
|Back||Back to top|